Monday, May 6, 2013

City Streets - The City Center of Madrid ; Gran Via Studies

The city of Madrid has a unique texture of narrow streets and manzanas or city blocks that are very compact and dense. Each manzana is composed of  low rise buildings, most of which do not exceed four to five stories. This "street type" is repeated across the terrain and cut through with larger avenues such as the Gran Via. 

The Gran Via today is an icon of Spanish consumerism. Although it  hosts a space for consumerism this busy avenue is a container of Spanish history. Alot of the buildings along this street identify with other European styles such as German Expressionism, international styles such as Chicago style, and early archi-types of the  Madrid Baroque style. 

Upon my visit, I was taken by the historical richness of each street in madrid. But when I visited the Gran Via what captivated me the most was how the historical container accepted what was modern. I began to map out the extensive forms of appropriation that took place in this area. Appropriation that took place through sound, movement, modern commerce, street art and graphiti. To me the area surrounding the Gran Via as an example of parasitic perfection that punctured through the historic fabric of the city, creating an avenue that encompassed both the new current modern state and the history of the city. These drawings and photographs explore this condition, experiencing how these new modern forms of expression begin to break through the historical container they have come to inhabit.
Gran Via Leading into off avenue commercial streets : Calle Fuencarral









Photo-Blog: Images of FuenCarral





 Residential appropriation, Grafiti Street art and noise from commercial grounds



Images of The Gran Via





10 comments:

  1. Your photographs are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The details in architecture of Madrid felt like I was seeing it with my own eyes, although never been there. Very vivid descriptions. Your photographs emphasized on the art, showing off the warm to cold colors of the city. Impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. these edits are really awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing studies of the city. I am really liking the first couple of diagrams.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was in Madrid I also saw the clashing of the new and old but your diagrams and graphics explain it really well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks amazing its definitely a place i want to visit and tour it looks amazing..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I lived in Madrid for 2 years although I visited it constantly prior to living there. You captured the essence of Madrid so well you made me 'homesick'. I love your work keep it coming.

    ReplyDelete

Please share with me your thoughts!!!!